I just love the vivid color combo of this Red Fruit Trio Oatmeal. For me, it’s one of the best ways to brighten a cloudy day. Hope you find it cheerful too!
1/2 Cup(s) Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned)
2 Tablespoon(s) diced strawberries
4-5 Nos Fresh raspberries
3 Nos Fresh cherries, pitted & halved (or 1 tbsp dried cherries)
1 Teaspoon(s) Drizzle of honey
Prepare oatmeal as directed.Top with fruit, drizzle with honey & enjoy! Also try adding 2 tsp dried currants or dried cranberries to create a “four red fruit” experience.
Ever wonder how to spice up your life? Start with your oatmeal! Here are some easy choices for you to jazz up your oats.
- Fruits: Add some of your favorite fresh or frozen fruit, dried fruit or 100% fruit spread. Apple, mango, banana, kiwi, raspberries, cherries and strawberries. You name it!
- Savory Goodness: Who says oatmeal needs to be sweet and fruity? Try some egg whites and turkey bacon and savor the goodness
- Spices: Ground spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, ginger or cloves can easily flavor your oats. It really depends on which one you like.
It’s my favorite week in NYC to watch fashion. I love to see the amazing new designs and feel the energy swirling through the city. Even though most days I’m working at OatMeals, I still love to dress up and stay up to speed with the latest styles. This week inspires me to incorporate these same passions into my oatmeal creations. Everything from splashes of color, to the season’s best ingredients and tastes, I love designing new recipes and showcasing my top creations. Maybe this year I’ll have my own ‘runaway show’ and let the staff at OatMeals test-taste some new creations?
You can’t go wrong with classic flavor combinations. One of my favorites is peaches & cream flavor. Here’s a refreshingly flavorful version where I added blackberries for a seasonal twist.
1 packet(s) Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Peaches & Cream flavor
1/2 Cup(s) Blackberries
2 Tablespoon(s) sliced almonds or walnuts
Prepare oatmeal as usual. Add toppings, stir to combine & enjoy!
Did you know September is Whole Grains Month? For those of you who want to become whole grains wise, check out these great tips from Quaker. Enjoy! http://bit.ly/1lFQFvd
breakfast from last week: oatmeal, peach, chia seeds, soya blueberry yogurt, banana, peanut butter and coconut flakes!
I fully understand that breakfast sometimes needs to be consumed on the go. That’s why I was so excited when my friend Beau from LunchBox Dad created this amazing Pink Oatmeal Smoothie. This drinkable breakfast is perfect for fueling up your kids for a great day at school or packing it in their bags for a mid-morning snack. Want a secret tip? Make extra amounts of the smoothie, put it into reusable food pouches and freeze it for later.
1/2 Cup(s) Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned)*
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 Cup(s) fresh red apple, diced with skin on
1 Tablespoon(s) peanut butter (or almond butter)
1 Tablespoon(s) strawberry jelly
3-4 Frozen strawberries
1 Cup ice
*Or try 1/4 Cup(s) Quaker Steel Cut Oats
1. In blender combine dry oats, milk, ice, red apple, peanut butter, strawberry jelly, and frozen strawberries. Blend well.
2. Serve in cup with fun straw to serve. Alternately, freeze in reusable food pouches and put in lunch box or serve as a frozen snack.
Who says breakfast needs to be boring and “safe”? My friend Beau from LunchBox Dad turned up his scare factor this week with a recipe dedicated to the magical world of monsters. Learn how to turn breakfast into a monsterously good time with Beau’s Monsterous Oatmeal Bowl. Share your scary creation on social media with hashtag #QuakerUp
1 Packet Quaker Lower Sugar Instant Oatmeal, Maple & Brown Sugar
1/4 Fresh orange, peeled and separated into sections
1 Tablespoon(s) dried cranberries
1 Tablespoon(s) sliced or slivered almonds
1 Teaspoon(s) grated orange zest
1. Prepare oatmeal as directed.
2. Place two sections of orange next to each other at bottom of bowl for monster lips.
3. Pile dried cranberries together in a circle above the mouth to form the eye.
4. Spread orange zest around top of bowl for hair and put a little on the cranberries.
5. Place almonds on orange like teeth and on hair like horns. Put one almond on eye and finish with last cranberry to serve.
I love the questions people ask me when they come into OatMeals. One of my favorites is, “Sam, it’s not always easy for a woman entrepreneur, have other women inspired you?” I love the question as it gives me the chance to talk about all the remarkable women who I have learned from on my journey as a business owner.
While I’m sitting here typing this post, the first woman to pop into my head is J.K Rowling. I love Harry Potter, and even more so, the woman behind the characters. When Rowling was just a hopeful writer who could barely pay her bills, she spent countless days and nights in the small café near her apartment writing the stories that would become worldwide sensations. Creative? She surely is. Persistent? You bet. However, the word on top of my mind is “brave”. Not too many people are brave enough to stick to their ideas and stay true to themselves, but Rowling made it.
Another woman who inspires me is Ariana Huffington, co-founder of the Huffington Post. I admire her not only because I’m a diehard reader, but through her ability to break through as a leader in the media industry, one which tends to be highly competitive, much like the challenging restaurant world.
Finally, I can’t forget to mention Lidia Bastianich. A foodie like me is obviously obsessed with a few brilliant gourmets, and Lidia is definitely at the top of my list. Her laser focus on Italian food culture inspired me to stay committed to building a business around my passion, oatmeal.
Don’t get me wrong, these three doesn’t nearly exhaust my female entrepreneur influences — there are so many! Who inspires you?
Try this simple treat for dessert tonight! Your tastebuds will thank you later.
- 1 packet(s) Quaker Maple Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal
- 1/2 Nos Fresh peach, diced
- 1 Tablespoon(s) fresh blueberries
- 3-4 Nos Fresh Blackberries
- 2 Tablespoon(s) Quaker Granola (any variety)
- 1 sprinkle(s) of cinnamon
Prepare oatmeal as directed. Top with fresh fruit, sprinkle with granola & cinnamon, and enjoy!